Since 1973, the Syracuse Vocal Ensemble has served the musical arts in Syracuse and its surrounding regions with excellent choral programming and performance.
SVE's artistry, range of repertoire, and quality of sound have been established by invitations to collaborate with The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Open Hand Theatre, Society for New Music, Skaneateles Festival, Syracuse Chorale, and the Syracuse Symphony Orchestra.
Following a highly successful community mentoring program of the past, Syracuse Vocal Ensemble is now venturing into the planning of a multi-grade level education initiative.
SVE has a long history of excellence in a cappella music. In recent years, with the help of generous private donations, the ensemble has expanded its repertoire to include collaborations with instrumental chamber ensembles and local soloists.
The Syracuse Vocal Ensemble exists
- to nurture a widespread appreciation for the art of chamber choral singing by performing consistently innovative and outstanding choral programs
- to provide an opportunity for exceptional local singers to demonstrate their skills and artistry in an ensemble setting
- to enhance the reputation and cultural resources of Central New York
- to offer outreach to younger singers of the greater-Syracuse community by encouraging their continued musical and vocal development
- to engage in the activity of choral singing for its intrinsic worth as an art form
A Family Christmas Pie
December 14, 2013, 7:30 PM
December 15, 2013, 3:00 PM
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING
"SVE gave a remarkable performance and the mundane concerns of life were transcended ... the audience held its collective breath, hesitating,
unwilling to disturb the intensity of the experience."
The Rakhmaninov Vespers, 2010
Linda Loomis, Syracuse Post Standard
"The Syracuse Vocal Ensemble is outstanding. The group produces a beautiful, cohesive, and musically authoritative sound, and has made our collaborations truly memorable. Under the inspired leadership of Robert Cowles, this splendid ensemble is sure to provide glorious music-making."
Daniel Hege, Music Director, Syracuse Symphony Orchestra
"I have been a heartfelt fan of Syracuse Vocal Ensemble for many years. Every single concert by this fabulous group of singers has been musically engaging and often deeply moving ... I keep coming back to hear great music superbly sung."
Kevin Moore, pianist
"[SVE's concert] was, simply put, the finest choral performance I have ever heard in person."
Crystal LaPoint, composer